Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Why not run fast?

I'm sure by now you've all read about Kayla Montgomery, the teenage runner with M.S, whos legs go numb at the end of the race, causing her to collapse upon crossing the finish line. If you haven't read the article, the NY Times did a great piece about it here.

I was reading this article the other day, and with the NYC Half coming up in just a few days, there was something that Kayla said that stuck with me.

‘Coach, I don’t know how much time I have left, so I want to run fast — don’t hold back,’ 

And I thought (in a somewhat morbid way) isn't that true for all of us? Why am I scared of going fast?  Why do I fear that by going fast I'll get injured? What's the point of racing when you're not letting your legs and heart be in it 200%? None of us know how much time we have left to run, and we shouldn't let anything hold us back from giving it our all every time we run.

1 comment:

  1. PREEEEEACH.

    preach.

    Also, in light of articles like "the healthiest amount of running is 40min/day 4days/week" or whatever... like who f'ing cares? I do this because I love it, and YOLO is indeed true. Some cheesy quote exists about "it's not about counting the days in your life but the life in your days" ? idk. But basically, if I'm going to live the most healthy, ideal way and maybe live to be oh, 100, but don't let myself run and try and achieve to the extent that I want, that's not as good as living to be 80 but executing what makes me happy.

    :)

    ReplyDelete