Friday, November 26, 2010

Surviving The Philadelphia Marathon With A Smile

It's been almost seven months since I signed up for the Philadelphia Marathon. It's hard to believe that it's been almost a week since the race. I thought that I would be really depressed once it was over, but in fact it's just the opposite.

Mile 25.5 - Mission Accomplished!

I have never been more proud of myself then I was on Sunday. I walked to the start line with my boyfriend, Erica, and Kara. We lost Erica in the sea of port-a-potties before the race, but as we crossed the start line Kara and I were overwhelmed by all the volunteers (and the mayor!) giving us high fives. I started to feel really emotional and I remember saying "This is so cool!!!"

Key Card to the hotel
The race was truly a roller coaster ride. The first six miles were great and I felt great.  7-12 were really tough. There were a lot of unexpected hills, and my left calf started feeling sore out of nowhere. I saw friends at 13, and my amazingly supportive boyfriend shortly after that, so I was feeling pretty good from 13-15. It was hard seeing everyone coming back passing mile 23, 24 though. I so badly wanted to just make a giant U-turn and join them to the finish line! I saw several pace group head to the finish line. There were a few points where it seemed like the next water station would never come. I put on my headphones and tried to get lost in the music. I knew I wasn't going to see any of my cheering squad again until mile 25, so I had to just get through it on my own.

For some reason, I just wanted to get to mile 20, and it seemed like no matter how far I ran, it was still so far away. Once I hit 20 I knew I'd hit the turn around point and I'd be "home'" I saw Erica (at mile 18 and 20) and Elizabeth (@50forbilly) at mile 20 as well and I tried to cheer them on even though I wasn't feeling my best. I told myself to just keep moving, and I'd get to this finish line.

I don't know what clicked, but I think it had something to do with the cup of Gatorade I downed around mile 20. I hit the mile 21 marker and everything just went Zen. The weird pain in my left calf had long been gone and my legs still felt pretty fresh. I put on a few of my power songs on the iPod and just went for it. At 22.5 I thought about how I was so close to seeing my friends and my boyfriend and how the finish line would be just beyond them. I thought about how amazing it was that I was finishing a freaking marathon. I thought about how proud I was. And I just started crying. My vision was all blurry, and I was having a hard time catching my breath so I had to stop thinking about all those wonderful things because I needed to breathe and keep moving!

I hit mile 25 and began the eager search for my friends. I heard someone yell out "Just 1.75 miles left!" Yes! Less than two miles left! I finally spotted Sharon and Elyssa and threw up some metal. (I had been concentrating on this for over a mile so I would remember to do it for the camera) Sharon ran with me for a minute and asked me how I felt. I don't recall exactly what was said, but I remember screaming "I FEEL GREAT!" And I thanked her for coming down to cheer.

A few moments later I saw my boyfriend and I started flailing my arms like crazy. I actually STOPPED to give him a kiss, and then I ran as fast as I could that last tenth of a mile or so. That was actually the first point in the race where I got nauseous, so I tried to slow down enough so I wouldn't puke right before the finish line ;)

Before I knew it the finish line was right in front of me, and I was actually a little sad that the race was over. I crossed the finish line with the biggest smile on my face, arms raised above my head in triumph. I grabbed my Mylar blanket and walked to get my medal. The volunteer congratulated me and placed the medal around my neck, and I couldn't help but look at the medal in awe.I reunited with my boyfriend and we took a cab back to the hotel (the best $5 I've ever spent!)

Recovery has been going amazing so far, and I'm looking forward to going for a run some time this weekend. I can't say yet if the marathon is going to become a favorite distance of mine, but I have no regrets about the race I ran, and I'm definitely looking forward to tackling New York City in 2011.


13 comments:

  1. I'm running NY next year too! I hope you keep blogging even though your race is over...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recap! You totally rocked it. I have only done one full marathon, and it was miserable---I wish I had the wonderful experience you had! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting the first one done so easily! Good luck getting ready for NY next year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEA SAM! awesome! so happy for you. Excited to run NYC with you too. you coming back to Tuesday sessions this winter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS!! SO proud of you!!! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys!!

    baker--definitely plan on being back this winter, miss running with you guys a ton. Hopefully I'll get in at least once before XMas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Brady! I was nice meeting you at brunch on Saturday. Maybe next time we'll get to chat a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your photos, esp the last one withyour medal, you're so badass!! CONGRATS once again!! YAYAYAYAAYY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome. I've felt like I was there as I was reading your post. Congratulations on your first marathon evah ! I am so proud of you. Now, you are going to have to change your title from "Pushthroughphilly" to "PushthroughNYC".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations. Great Race.

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am late, but I love it! Congrats!! I am so happy to see that you're doing Reach the Beach. I did it this past Sept and I am doing the May and Sept relays this year. My team name for May is "Dirty Little Freaks." haha! Hope to see you there! Good luck with your running!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is awesome!! We actually have two teams---Puke& Rally, and Blood, Sweat, and Beers. Not sure which one I'm on yet. Hope to see you too!!

    ReplyDelete