Monday, October 15, 2012

Let the taper begin!

21 miles. Done. 12 miles conversational, 10k @ Marathon "Goal Pace" 2 miles strong finish, 1 mile cool down. Average pace 9:39. Now begins everyone's favorite time of year, Taper Time!

This is probably the most confident I've ever felt going in to the taper. This run was tough physically, but mentally I was strong, and kept myself going. Around mile 17 I crossed the part of Prospect Park that was the finish line of the Brooklyn Marathon. I thought about how last year Joe and I ran across the finish line together, and how this year his marathon plans were derailed. I thought about everyone else who had to derail their marathon plans, and I kept chugging along. I ended my run going up "Zoo Hill" in Prospect Park, not stopping to walk once. My left hip/piriformis was screaming, my feet were sore, but it didn't matter.

I am so excited to run a new marathon, in a city I haven't been to in a long time. Although I want to have fun and enjoy the scenery, I am taking my race seriously. I have a goal time in mind that I want to hit, and anything slower that would be disappointing.

The next week and a half will be focused on eating well, taking care of my legs, and obsessively checking the weather! Good luck to everyone who is running their last long run for NYCM this weekend, run strong!

3 comments:

  1. You've earned it, enjoy the taper and good luck with your marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I'm so excited to run and share the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah! i thought you were running nyc! are you doing philly?

    ReplyDelete