Saturday, June 4, 2011

Where has all the mojo gone?

After reading the title of this blog post, please go back and read it again, along to the tune of Paula Cole's "Where have all the cowboys gone?" I have no idea why that song is in my head, but it was!

Some time between finishing the RTB Relay, and Memorial Day, I totally lost my mojo. One day it was there, all "Look at me! My legs feel light, and I feel free! I'm running! Laaa! " and the next day it was all like "Hey! Go away! Leave us alone! We ache! I'm tired! I dunt wanna! Waahhh!" Not only were my legs killing me this week, but my mind was playing tricks on me as well. Although I was happy to be reunited with my group and run while it was daylight out, my mind did not want to be running. Mentally I was done before I even started. What was supposed to be an "easy" workout turned into a 4 mile run at an 8:30 pace. My legs protested, but got the job done. My brain on the other hand, still wanted noting to do with it. Trying to coax myself out of the house for an 8 mile run this morning was like trying to teach my cats to use the remote control. It just ain't gonna happen. (Although, my 8 mile run DID happen...and now I have an DVR full of "My cat from hell"..)

Coach made a comment to me this week that I'd better get moving...NYC Marathon training officially starts the end of the month. And then it hit me. I am not looking forward to training for the marathon. I don't want to seem ungrateful, because I'm not. I busted my butt last year for the opportunity to run NYC this year. I'm actually looking forward to the race....sort of. I am just not looking forward to the long training runs. I don't know what it is, I didn't have a bad time training for the Philly Marathon last year, but this year, marathon training just seems daunting. Maybe because I've been focused so much on getting faster and working on my half marathon. Maybe because this time around I know what's in store for me.

I know I can and will do it. I don't need that pep talk. (yet) I just need to figure out how to get my head straight. November 6th is still a long away off.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you may need a few days or a week off to clear your head and rest your body. It's a good investment of your time BEFORE you have a marathon hanging over your head. The heat did me in last weekend, and made me want to quit running forever. We all have good days and bad days, and the key is to PUSH THRU and stay in the game for the long haul. Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, funny enough, the week after RTB I ran a total of 6 or 7 miles. I didn't run at all during the holiday weekend, and my body and mind felt great that week :p

    ReplyDelete