Thursday, September 8, 2011

What are you doing?

I am sure many of us, especially those of us who run long distances get into certain habits. We either eat x,y,z, wear x,y, z, or do x,y,z on the days before/after a long run/race, but do you have any habits during your run?

 I didn't notice this until my Rogue 20, but apparently about 6 or 7 miles into the run I realized I was rubbing my tongue back and forth along my lower front teeth. I did this pretty much for the rest of the run, and even when I tried to stop I would just start doing it again a few minutes later. I honestly have no idea how long I've been doing this, but I realized I've been doing it on every long run since, and even last nights mile repeat run! I find it oddly funny. I'm not quite sure how or why this started, and I'm not sure if I should even make an effort to stop!

 I know I can't be the only one out there who has a weird subconscious thing going on here! So please, make me feel better. What weird things do you do while you run that you don't even realize you're doing?!

4 comments:

  1. I count. It's kind of weird and I haven't done it in a while (since I started listening to music as I run), but I used to be able to tell you exactly how long my 5m route was in footfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done that before too, but that's pretty impressive for a 5 mile route! I always lose count after 200 or so ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is impressive, Tracy. I used to rub my left thumb against the side of my left index, back and forth with footfalls. Have mostly managed to stop. My thumb gets sore and the skin on my index peels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm, If one hand accidently hits my thigh when I'm running then I feel the need for the other hand to hit the other thigh. You know, to equalize and balance it. But then I feel unbalanced and need to go back to the first hand and so on and so forth. Once I start, I will do it for miles until distracted. Now that I think about it, it is probably a sign of a deep, deep disturbance rather than a running habit, but there you go.

    ReplyDelete