Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Decision time. To 26.2 or not?

I hate to say this, but I feel like it's time for me to decide whether or not I'm going to run the NJ Marathon or not. The entry fee goes up to $110 1/1/13, and I honestly don't want to pay that much if I don't have to. (Yup, I'm cheap, and stubborn) And I hate to say it, but I'm still not sure I want to do it.

There are two main reasons I'm hesitant for signing up. One being I'm not sure I want to go through all the training again for a potentially disappointing race (lame excuse), but the second reason is, most likely I'll be taking on an additional responsibility Saturday mornings...which means 7am wake up on Saturday, and just as early, if not earlier on Sundays to do my long run. Which means my weekends will pretty much be used up. Wait, how is that different than normal training season? I guess it's not.

The NJ marathon appealed to me because of the time of year. I've only run fall marathons, and my anniversary with the boyfriend is Sept 30th....which has always been the day/weekend of a 20 miler. He's never complained....but it kind of sucks. And it puts additional stress on me trying to figure out how and where to get the run done. This year I didn't do it. Oops. So I thought a spring marathon would be a nice change.

A May race means starting my training cycle in February...which sounds nice, considering I ran 30 miles in the month of November. (Oh, but apparently I've run 1,003 miles this year already, so that's not too shabby!) I've found it incredibly hard to get myself into any sort of schedule. Working long hours, and with it getting dark out at 4:30...I've definitely been on the bike a lot more.

So, looks like I need a little advice. What should I do? Sign up for a marathon, which I know I will get excited about once I'm actually in training, or wait a few weeks until I make a real decision? Or should I try my luck with another fall marathon (pretty sure that option would be Philly again!)

3 comments:

  1. I'm having the exact same discussion with myself. I think I'd like to train for a spring marathon (I MUCH prefer winter weather), but I have had so much going on lately that a structured training plan just seems like too much. I have no advice for you, just letting you know I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do the NJ Marathon! You haven't done that one before, have you? It sounds like there are a lot of reasons resoundingly in favor of the Spring marathon. Take the plunge, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't run marathons. Marathons are stupid.

    ReplyDelete