Sunday, December 9, 2012

Not trying = failure?

I still have not decided on my 2013 marathon, though I did realize something this weekend. I feel like if I don't run a marathon in 2013, I've "failed" in a way. That I've given up on the distance because it's too hard, even though that is not the truth at all.

I've had friends who have focused on shorter races and held off on running a marathon, and it worked out great for them and their goals. But I feel like I have unfinished business with the distance, and if I let it sit dormant for a year, I'm being a coward.

Also, I feel like I've gotten into a routine the past two years by training for a fall marathon. So I'm afraid if I skip a year, it'll be even harder for me to get back into it mentally. But the truth is, I'm still worried I wont be able to balance work, marathon training and my other obligations, and my training will suffer.

Not running a marathon seems like it will give me so much more time to try (non-running) things I may want to pursue, more violin lessons! Touch rugby! Personal training!

But I'll still feel like a failure for not trying.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that's a fair statement at all. As you pointed out, there's more to you than just running - and there's more to running than just marathons. I think a change of goals and focus is valuable - it prevents you from getting into a rut. Make the decision based on what feels right, not based on what you think you "should" be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with what Joe said. After three falls of marathon running, I'm not running another one, this fall. Or maybe any fall.

    For awhile, I felt that because I wasn't training for 26.2, I was a failure, I wasn't a serious enough runner. But that isn't true. Racing any distance requires training, new skills and it's good to exercise that mental muscle as well. AND, there is something to be said about all the free time non-marathon running will provide you.

    ReplyDelete